Greetings, nerds! Adri here, and I'm delighted to be back with the team at the Subjective Chaos Kind of Awards (SCKA) for another year of blogger award judging! This year, we've assembled a fine jury of bloggers, booktubers and masters of squee, and I've also brought our Sean along for the adventure!
The SCKA are awards (well, kind of awards - there's no ceremony or speeches, but the trophy is a very attractive rock) given out by a group of bloggers each year for works of SFF that catch our attention, especially those that might otherwise fly under the radar of awards consideration. The "chaos" is because we are prone to changing our own rules, even when the awards are going on, not to mention
This year, we've expanded our jury significantly, as well as adding a new category: Best Debut. The 2021 jurors are:
- Anna (@imyril) blogs at There's Always Room for One More and is spreadsheet dragon for Wyrd and Wonder, SciFiMonth and Subjective Chaos (even chaos benefits from a little organisation, shh).
- Arina (@voyagerarina) is a curious reader long fascinated by speculative fiction, and an advocate for indie, self-published, and inclusive lit. She blogs at The Bookwyrm’s Guide to the Galaxy and at Queen’s Asylum, as well as contributing to The Nerd Daily and The Lesbrary.
- Fabienne (@flschwizer) is an aspiring editor and a girl who reads too much for her own good, who reviews at Libri Draconis and Grimdark Magazine.
- Jonny (@SFFjonbob) reviews SFF at Parsecs & Parchment, and can be found shouting about books, spewing left wing propaganda and posting general nonsense on Twitter.
- Kris (@hammard_1987) blogs at Cloaked Creators and other venues including Geek Syndicate and Galactic Journey. They spend far too much time reading genre fiction and insist on telling people about them. They love trying everything, the weirder the better.
- L.A. (@mistyaquavenatus) is an avid reader and a writer of many WIPs, who blogs at Aquavenatus and contributes to Fantasy Faction.
- Lisa (@deargeekplace) is a dragon in a human suit who enthuses about books at Dear Geek Place. Co-host of Wyrd and Wonder and SciFiMonth.
- Matt aka Womble (@runalongwomble) is a book tempter – ahem, blogger – at Runalongtheshelves. The sweet voice on your shoulder telling you that it’s ok to get a new book.
- Noria (@noriathereader) discusses books on BookTube at Chronicles of Noria and is the founder and host of The Fuckathon (which I dearly hope comes back this July!)
- Sun (@suncani1) is a genre fan who can be found getting overly excited about a bunch of things on Twitter and occasionally pausing to pass longer comment on Dreamwidth.
- A Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne A. Brown
- Legendborn by Tracy Deonn
- The Scapegracers by Hannah Abigail Clarke
- Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas
- Raybearer by Jordan Ifueko
- The Year of the Witching by Alexis Henderson
- The Once and Future Witches by Alix E. Harrow
- The Midnight Bargain by C. L. Polk
- Comet Weather by Liz Williams
- The Wolf of Oren-Yaro by K. S. Villoso
- Black Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse
- The House in the Cerulean Sea by T. J. Klune
- Deal With the Devil by Kit Rocha
- Nophek Gloss by Essa Hansen
- The Vanished Birds by Simon Jiminez
- Goldilocks by Laura Lam
- The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson
- Repo Virtual by Corey J. White
- The Bone Shard Daughter by Andrea Stewart
- Interior Chinatown by Charles Yu
- The City We Became by N.K. Jemisin
- Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
- Harrow the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir
- DOMINION OF THE FALLEN by Aliette de Bodard
- ISLANDS OF BLOOD AND STORM by Kacen Callender
- SWEET BLACK WAVES by Kristina Perez
- THE POPPY WAR by R. F. Kuang
- DAEVABAD by S. A. Chakraborty
- WITCHES OF LYCHFORD by Paul Cornell
- Upright Women Wanted by Sarah Gailey
- The Four Profound Weaves by R.B. Lemberg
- Empress of Salt and Fortune by Nghi Vo
- Riot Baby by Tochi Onyebuchi
- Sweet Harmony by Claire North
- Ring Shout by P. Djeli Clark
"A Convergence in Chorus Architecture" by Dare Segun Falowo (Dominion: An Anthology of Speculative Fiction From Africa and the African Diaspora)
"In Kind" by Kayla Whaley (Vampires Never Get Old: Tales with Fresh Bite)
"Volumes" by Laura Duerr (Cast of Wonders 435)
"You Perfect, Broken Thing" by C. L. Clark (Uncanny Magazine 32)
"Yellow and the Perception of Reality" by Maureen F. McHugh (tor.com)
"Juice Like Wounds" by Seanan McGuire (tor.com)